EVS doctoral student
At the age of 30, she has already published 10 articles in peer-reviewed journals (in English and in French), written 9 chapters and contributed to different works, coordinated work to be published by ENS éditions, written 8 articles in conference proceedings, been involved in 17 national and international scientific conferences, as well as speaking 43 times in seminars or study days... Emeline Comby is a passionate and extremely hardworking scientist.
Emeline Comby, an EVS geographer at the ENS de Lyon, Young Researcher prize winner of the city of Lyon, is a born and bred Lyonnaise and a good student. She joined the ENS de Lyon in 2007 in Geography, got the "agrégation" in 2010 and continued her Master’s in "Territorial, sustainable development systems and aid to decision-making ". In her final degree year, she met Hervé Piégay who guided her career as a young researcher. “Since 2008 and the first year of my Master’s degree, my research work has been led by Hervé Piégay" says Emeline. It is in the EVS laboratory and under the direction of Hervé Piégay that she presented her thesis at Lyon 3: "Who is water for?" Space-time contrasts of the Rhône (France) and Sacramento (United States)". Not forgetting that Hervé Piégay, CNRS Research Director, was also the winner of the City of Lyon Young Scientist award in 1996, and was awarded the CNRS bronze medal in 1998.
With a PhD in geography and urban planning, Emeline Comby has many outreach activities. A member of different groups of interdisciplinary research in workshops in the Rhone area and the Humanity and Environment Observatory of the Rhone Valley, Emeline Comby was also, from 2011 to 2016 Coordinator of the junior laboratory "of numbers and words" (a book to be published by ENS éditions). Since 2011, she has led the GEO Café in Lyon, when she comes back from Paris.
A fan of TV series and thrillers, Emeline also loves sport. For many years, she has done judo and is a keen tennis player. And like many geographers, she loves to travel with just her backpack.
A few key dates concerning Emeline’s life:
- 1986 – Born in Lyon
- 2007 – «Normalienne» at ENS de Lyon, Geography department
- 2010 – 9th in the specialized Geography agrégation exam
- 2010-2011 – Part time CPGE teacher at the reputed high school Lycée du Parc. Also teacher for the preparation of the internal agrégation selective exam
- 2011-2014 – Contractual Doctoral student at Lyon 3 (helping candidates prepare the agrégation)
- 2014-2015 - ATER at Lyon 3
- 2015 – Contractual IGE at EVS
- 2015-2016 - Post-doctoral student at IGR at INSA de Lyon
- 2016 – Nominated for CHFG Thesis Prix
- 2016 – Young Researcher prize – City of Lyon
- 2016-2017 – Temporary lecturer and full-time Researcher, at the CERES (ENS Ulm).
Pictures: all rights reserved
The City of Lyon Young Researcher prize 2016 (article)
Environnement, Ville et Société (EVS)
Des nombres et des mots (junior lab)
Les Cafés Géographiques de Lyon