Call for PhD applications: to carry out a thesis in ENS de Lyon's research laboratories.
The Group of French Écoles normales supérieures (ENS) has signed a cooperation agreement with the China Scholarship Council - CSC, providing funding for PhD students for the whole ENS group (Paris, Paris-Saclay, Lyon, Rennes), on the basis of a selection by the ENS and by the CSC.
Phase 1: Call for thesis proposals
From January 13th to January 31st, 2020
PhD thesis proposals will be published soon.
Phase 2: Call for PhD applications
From February 1st to March 5th, 2020
Send your application to the International Affairs Office (email@example.com) with all the documents required:
- CV of the applicant (level of English and/or French)
- Copy of the applicant’s passport
- Cover letter in English or French
- Signed CV of the thesis director
- CSC application form filled in and signed by the thesis director
- Letter of acceptance signed by the thesis director at the ENS de Lyon (describing the thesis subject and the context of cooperation).
This letter must be signed by the Director of the laboratory and the Director of the doctoral School. (template available upon request to firstname.lastname@example.org).
Following the inter-ENS committee, the International Affairs Office will establish and send a final list of pre-selected candidates to CSC.
Phase 3: Selection of applications
Early March, 2020
Within the agreement between the Group of 4 French ENS and the China Scholarship Council (CSC), ENS Lyon is launching the PhD call for applications intended to recruit high-level-students that wish to carry out a thesis in its research laboratories.
Phase 4: Application procedure in China
From March 10th to March 31st, 2020
Selected candidates apply on the CSC website
Applicants must specify that they are applying through the specific ENS-CSC program (与法国高师集团合作奖学金).
Phase 5: Registration procedure in France
Before August 2019
Double registration (online) of selected PhD students at the relevant Doctoral School and at ENS Lyon: registration process (in French)
The selection criteria will take into account the quality of the application, the interest in the topic of research by the host laboratory in ENS Lyon, and in the existing cooperations with the home university candidates (PROSFER-JoRISS programmes with ECNU in Shanghai, university of Fudan in Shanghai, Beijing, international associated laboratories...).
- The scholarship is granted for a maximum of 4 years. The total amount of the grant is €1350 per month (Attention to the scientific PhD director: we advise you to check, before committing to the candidates, that you have the necessary additional funding).
- Joint-PhD and codirections are privileged. In case of a Joint-PhD, the grant will be transferred only when the Chinese PhD candidate will be in France.
- Candidates must be of Chinese nationality, live in China and to not work outside of China while applying for this program.
- Selected CSC candidates commit to go back to China after the dissertation defense or after a postPhD stay abroad (after the CSC agreement).
- Candidates must fulfil the entry and selection conditions set up by ENS de Lyon and by the concerned doctoral School; they must have a good English and/or French level.
- Candidates must be welcomed in a laboratory as part of ENS de Lyon.