Call for PhD applications: to carry out a thesis or a doctoral research stay in ENS de Lyon's research laboratories.
The program between the ENS group and the China Scholarship Council (CSC) recruits excellent doctoral students from all Chinese universities, or provides financial support for a Chinese doctoral student to carry out a research stay in a laboratory affiliated to one of the 4 ENS (Paris, Paris-Saclay, Lyon, Rennes). This program, renewed in 2020, can recruit up to 20 doctoral students per year in the ENS group (i.e. around 5 candidates per ENS and per year).
There are two kinds of CSC financial support, depending on the status of the candidate:
- Full PhD, thesis grant from 36 to 48 months:
- thesis with delivery of a single French diploma
- thesis in international co-tutelle (joint-PhD)
- Visiting PhD, research fellowship from 6 to 24 months: thesis with delivery of a single Chinses diploma in China, with invitation to carry out a research period in France.
Phase 1: Call for thesis proposals
From October 10th to November 23th, 2020
8 thesis topics for Chinese students, proposed by ENS scientific teams:
Physics - Data Science:
Computational Biology – Physics – Computer science:
- Bridging the gap between development and maintenance of the locomotor system: from genes to function
- Study of the innate immunity factors of the interferon-induced transmembrane protein family (IFITMs) at the crossroads between antiviral functions and lipid homeostasis
- Study of the interplay between SARS COV2 Nucleocapsid and the Nonsense Mediated mRNA Decay helicase UPF1: impact on viral RNA expression and the host transcriptome
- Regulation of inflammation (in vivo murine models and cell biology approaches)
- Impact of commensal bacteria on Drosophila gut growth and maturation upon undernutrition
Phase 2: Call for PhD applications
From November 23th, 2020 to February 18th, 2021
- Potential Chinese candidates contact the scientific team directly.
- The scientific teams contact the International Affairs Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the identified candidate.
- An inter-ENS committee, after consulting the defense security official, sends the final list of candidates to CSC before the end of February 2021.
Phase 3: Final selection of candidates by CSC in China
Selected candidates apply on the CSC website
Applicants must specify that they are applying through the specific ENS-CSC program (合作渠道：与法国高师集团合作奖学金).
Phase 4: CSC results and Arrival in France
Before August 2021
- Announcement of the results by CSC to ENS group at the end of June.
- CSC results will be communicated to scientific teams by the International Affairs Office (email@example.com) at the end of June.
- The host laboratory prepares the reception of the doctoral student for his arrival in France.
The selection criteria will take into account the quality of the application, the interest in the topic of research by the host laboratory in ENS Lyon, and in the existing cooperations with the home university candidates.