The decree of March 27, 2020 authorizes ENS de Lyon to permit you to organize a defense, in this particular period of the Covid-19 epidemic, with a full jury in videoconference.
Decree n° 2020-351 of March 27, 2020
Art.1 - The provisions of this decree are applicable from March 12 to December 31, 2020. They have only been implemented as they are necessary to cope with the consequences of the spread of the Covid-19 epidemic and the measures taken to limit its propogation.
Art.4, Jury Provisions: [...] Juries will be held entirely remotely - Extending to juries the provisions applicable to collegial administrative proceedings, section 4 of the decree provides that members of these juries may participate in meetings and deliberations by any means of telecommunication that permits their identification and ensures their effective participation and confidentiality of the discussions.
Procedures to follow for the defense to be implemented successfully
- 1. The graduate office will send each videoconference jury member, a notification, along with the delegation of signature form.
- 2. The DUNES department will provide you with a modus operandi for the technical implementation of the defense.
The thesis director or guarantor creates the ENS webconference and communicates to the candidate, jury members and members of the public (maximum 20 people) the link and login details.
The thesis director or guarantor is a "presenter" until the jury chair is appointed, and then hands over to the latter (the members of the jury and the candidate must activate their camera so that everyone can see their identity).
To respect the confidentiality of the discussions: BigBlueButton (BBB) has a "lock the viewers" feature that enables the presenter to prevent others from entering the webconference when all the participants have arrived.
The presenter can also mute the microphones of the various speakers to manage each speaker's time.
Please use the BBB tool; Renater, for example, does not provide the same technical guarantees.
- 3. By default the place of defense indicated on the support documents will be that of the registration establishment: Lyon (except in the case of co-supervision with an agreement providing for the defense abroad)
- 4. At the end of the defense:
- Minutes: The President notes the members who have participated in the video in the "Signature" column and signs the minutes.
- Defense report: the President signs the last page of the report, it is then sent at the same time to all jury members, who are required to sign it on the last page and return it to the President (where the President has already signed). The President will refer the defense report with x copies of the last page (x corresponding to the number of jury members present) to the Postgraduate Office (email@example.com).
- Reproduction of the thesis: the president signs this document and sends it to the Postgraduate Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).