LIP Computer Science laboratory gathers 57 permanent faculties and researchers, 40-50 PhD students and over 20 scientists working on temporary positions. The administrative and technical staff gathers 12 engineers and assisting people. Research is developed on a wide spectrum of key topics of computer and information sciences as well as on various inter-disciplinary initiatives. LIP main strength is the creative interaction between long-term fundamental research, innovative software/hardware design and shorter-term projects/transfers through industrial collaborations. The LIP is part of MILYON (Laboratoire d'Excellence "Mathématiques et Informatique à Lyon").
The LIP is divided into teams:
- AriC (Arithmetic and Computing), team leader Bruno Salvy
- Avalon (Algorithms and Software Architectures for Distributed and HPC Platforms), team leader Christian Perez
- CASH (Compilation and Analysis, Software and Hardware), team leader Matthieu Moy
- DANTE (Dynamic Network), team leader Eric Fleury
- MC2 (Models of computation, Complexity, Combinatorics), team leader Michaël Rao
- PLUME (programs and proofs), team leader Russell Harmer
- ROMA (Resource Optimization : Models, Algorithms and Scheduling), team leaders Loris Marchal and Frédéric Vivien
LIP members are also highly involved in teaching within the University of Lyon.