The ENS de Lyon welcomes every year French and foreign PhD students, including for an international joint PhD (Double Degree) or a jointly supervised PhD.
The application for a PhD must be prepared during the last year of a Master’s degree.
- A Level 2 Master's or equivalent.
- Evidence of previous research experience
- Identification of a thesis topic
- A thesis supervisor
- Choose a laboratory, supervisor and thesis topic:
- Find funding.
To enrol in doctoral studies at the ENS de Lyon, students must provide proof of funding for at least 3 years. The amount requested evolves following regulation text from August, 29, 2016.
For further information about funding opportunities, please visit the following page: Grants and scholarships.
- Send your application to the doctoral school's administrative office:
- Information regarding the application process on Université de Lyon's website
- List of Doctoral Schools
If you wish to pursue an international joint PhD (Double Degree) or a jointly supervised PhD, please contact your thesis supervisor and the administrative office of the ENS de Lyon to confirm your project:
PhD registration office (Service des études et de la scolarité - bureau du 3e cycle : etudes-theses-hdr [at] ens-lyon.fr) for a jointly supervised PhD with 2 French institutions
Office of International Affairs (international [at] ens-lyon.fr) for an international joint PhD (Double Degree) or a jointly supervised PhD with a foreign institution.
- Enroll at the doctoral school and at the ENS de Lyon
Prepare your stay : Espace Ulys in Lyon and Saint-Etienne assists foreign PhD students before they arrive in France and throughout their stay (bank account, health insurance, etc.).