Students can join the ENS de Lyon for one or two semesters as part of an exchange program with their home university:
- Bilateral agreements
- ORA (Ontario)
- BCI (Quebec)
More than 190 partner universities in 40 countries, including East China Normal University, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Sao Paulo University, University of Ottawa or University of Tokyo.
In each program description, the language profiency requirements (English and/or French) are mentioned: Academic programs.
For more information, please look at our document on the right.
Courses to pick and choose
To prepare your stay, you can find the courses here.
Please note : the A-Z of courses is at the moment only available for the running academic year. The offer for next academic year will be available online on July, 16. Your project is a temporary one. You have to up-date it once the offer is available.
The application process for exchange students begins AFTER the nomination email from the Partner University (mail to international [at] ens-lyon.fr).
- Online entry of applications on the CADENS web application.
The international coordinator of your department can help you choose your course options.
Please note : the application process follows the calendar indicated below
Note: To log in, please use the email address indicated by your university (otherwise you will not have access to the platform).
- File review: Candidates' files are reviewed by the pedagogical coordinators. They accept or not each application.
- Publication of results: The results will be available on the CADENS web application. Each candidate will need to log onto the app to see their results.
- Confirmation of admission and registration: Admitted applicants will have download their admission letter on the CADENS web application. This document is necessary for non-europeans students to get a visa.
Please consult information about visa and and health insurance:
Practical information to prepare your stay
ENS de Lyon' Erasmus Code: F LYON103.
Procedure for students concerned by the CEF procedure to prepare visa application:
If your country of residence is concerned by the CEF procedure (Center for studies in France) - a common online process for a bout 30 countries - you have to register on Campus France.
Once registered, you will be given a registration number. Please pass this on to us.
Choose the "I've been accepted" menu (as a student on a university exchange programme) in order to prepare your visa application.
1st semester (September - January) or full year
|2nd semester (January - June)|
|Application period||For an arrival in September:
applications are opened from April 20 to May 15.
|For an arrival in January:
applications are opened from October 26 to November 16.
Documents to be provided
All documents must be uploaded on the web application:
- Your grades and results for this year and last year
- A copy of your identity card or passport
- A cover letter
- A resume
- Level language
Depending on your discipline and level of studies, French and/or English language prerequisites can apply.
You will find a synthesis in the « Documents associés » file on the right side on this page.
This document details the required levels of French and English for each discipline.
- a certificate of your level in French and/or in English - See charts for the acceptable level tests
- OR a document written by your university stating that your level corresponds to the required level
If no prerequisites are required, no documents are required.
Helpful links: please see below the link to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR):
Enrollment at ENS de Lyon
- To confirm your enrollment and to obtain your student card, the ENS Office of International Affairs will call you in for an appointment to which you will need to bring some documents.
Information to prepare your stay
- Once your enrollment is completed, you must contact the international coordinator of your department to finalise your course options, and the Department secretary to know all about your schedule.