Numerous study and research opportunities between France and Germany are provided by national and bilateral funding bodies and programmes.
Below is a selection of programmes offering calls for proposals on a regular basis.
Hubert Curien Partnership
Procope is the Franco-German Hubert Curien Partnership.
This program is designed to increase scientific and technological cooperation between French and German research laboratories by encouraging new collaborations and involvement of young researchers and PhD candidates.
Franco-German call for proposals in Social Sciences and Humanities - FRAL
Each year, the French National Research Agency (ANR) and the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) issue a call for proposal dedicated to all disciplines in Social Sciences and Humanities and open to all research themes. It specifically aims to strengthen Franco-German research networks in Social Sciences and Humanities and to build up new ones. All the disciplines are strongly encouraged to submit a project or an interdisciplinary one.
The Franco-German University
The Franco-German University supports projects and programs for students and young researchers in bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees, such as:
- Franco-German Chairs
- Scientific events for young researchers
- Franco-German integrated and mutual recognition courses
DAAD France annually supports around 200 French students, young researchers and senior researchers in their study or research stay in Germany. The applicants for a DAAD scholarship must be able to speak German or English.
The following is an overview of the scholarship programs :
- Master's scholarship: This scholarship is open to highly qualified students with a bachelor's or master's degree or a degree from a prestigious university and enables them to continue their studies in Germany.
- One-year research grant for PhD students: This grant is open to PhD students aiming to undertake a 7-10 month research stay in Germany in a public higher education institution or in a research institute recognized by the government.
- Short-term research grant for PhD and post-doctoral students: This scholarship is open to doctoral and post-doctoral students who are interested in a 1-6 month research stay in Germany in a public higher education institution or in a research institute recognized by the government.
- Research missions for teacher-researchers: This grant is open to senior researchers and teachers working in higher education institutions or research institutes in France who are willing to carry out a research project in a German higher education institution or research institute.
- Teaching missions: This grant is open to confirmed teacher-researchers working in higher education institutions or research institutes in France who are willing to work in a German higher education institution or research institute for 3 to 12 months.
- Financial support for conferences in humanities and social sciences: The DAAD offers financial support for the organization of conferences and study days in France. The participants are teachers and researchers working in a German higher education institution and have been invited to give a lecture during the event.
- Re-invitation Programme for Former Scholarship Holders: This scholarship is open to former DAAD fellows who have completed a 6-month fellowship in Germany. These former fellows may be invited back to Germany to carry out a research or work project in a German higher education institution or research institute. They also have the opportunity to carry out a project in a company or institution in the economic, administrative, cultural or media fields.