Diploma of the ENS de Lyon
The ENS de Lyon diploma is the common framework of the "Nomalien" education. The program lasts 4 years for students entering the first year of the diploma and 3 years for those entering the second year.
All students admitted through the competitive exam or through an application on record must register for the ENS de Lyon diploma to complete a full training course at the ENS de Lyon.
This course can be organized differently, depending on whether students holds 120 ECTS or 180 ECTS when they join the ENS de Lyon.
More about (in the French website)
This application procedure concerns FRENCH, EUROPEAN and NON-EUROPEAN students who have graduated in France.
European students are students who have the nationality:
- of one of the countries of the European Economic Area: the 27 countries of the European Union, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein
- of Switzerland, Monaco or Andorra.
Non-European students - that is, who do not have the nationality of one of the countries of the European Economic Area, Switzerland, Monaco or Andorra - who have obtained a higher education degree in France are also concerned by this application procedure.
For other students, we invite you to follow the procedure described in the page Application for the ENS Diploma on record - Non-europeans.
[Ces informations sont disponibles en français à cette page.]
If the student holds 120 ECTS: registration for the first-year diploma and mandatory validation of the 15 ENS de Lyon credits in that first year and enrollment in the final year of a degree course (L3 in French) at a partner university on the School’s site.
If the student holds 180 ECTS, there are two options:
- Enrollment in the first year of the diploma and compulsory validation of the 15 ENS credits in this first year, followed by a year of training at the ENS de Lyon equivalent to 60 ECTS OR registration in another final year degree course other than the student already holds, to build up the additional training necessary for his/her academic and professional project.
- Enrollment in the second year of the diploma and compulsory validation of the 15 ENS credits in the first year of the diploma and registration in the first year Masters degree (M1) according to a study plan validated by the ENS de Lyon.
- Students admitted to the ENS de Lyon diploma by application on record obtain "Nomalien étudiant" status.
- Applications on record for the ENS de Lyon diploma are subject to the decision of the ENS de Lyon admission comission.
- be a student with French nationality;
- either be a student from one of the countries of the European Economic Area (the 27 countries of the European Union, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein) or Switzerland, Monaco or Andorra;
- be a student of non-European nationality but having obtained a higher education degree in France
To apply for the 1st year of ENS de Lyon diploma:
- Justify a L2 registration (2nd year of degree) or a certificate validating L2.
In the event of admission, you will need to justify an achievement of 120 ECTS, the following year.
- Applicants who have studied abroad will have to justify an equivalent level of L2.
To apply for the 2nd year of the ENS de Lyon diploma:
- Justify a L3 registration (3rd year of a degree) or a certificate validating L3. The application for integration in the 2nd year of the diploma is necessarily linked to an application in M1 at ENS de Lyon.
In the event of admission, it will be requested to justify an achievement of 180 ECTS, the following year.
- Applicants who have studied abroad will have to justify an equivalent L3 level.
To apply for both the 1st and the 2nd year of the ENS de Lyon diploma:
- Two application files must be compiled and submitted.
- Online entry of applications on the CADENS web application.
- File review: Applicants' records are reviewed by the ENS de Lyon admission commission.
- Publication of results: The results of the admissions commission will be available on the CADENS web application. Each candidate will need to log onto the app to see their results. No decision will be communicated by telephone.
- Confirmation of admission and registration: Admitted applicants will have to confirm their arrival on the CADENS web application. They will then receive an email giving them directions to request accommodation and prepare their registration file.
|Opening of applications||End of applications||Results publishing|
|Monday, May 24, 2023 (2:00 p.m.*)||Friday, June 20, 2023 (5:00 p.m.*)||Wednesday, July 12, 2023 (2:00 p.m.*)|
* Paris time
Documents to be provided
The attachments to support the application file are listed in the CADENS web application
based on each discipline.
They must be uploaded to the same application.
Here is the list of mandatory documents to provide:
- Accompanying letter stating why you wish to apply
- Scores obtained during higher education (after the “baccalauréat" for France).
- Diplomas obtained since the end of high school (Baccalauréat for France).
International students applicants will upload their certified translated diplomas in French or English.
Additional documents may be requested depending on the discipline chosen, when you apply on CADENS.