For fifteen years, Pascale Barthélémy's research has been at the crossroads of history of women and gender, the history of Africa and French colonization. After working on the education of girls and the professionalization of women in French West Africa (AOF) in the first half of the twentieth century, she has recently directed her research towards a social history of politics since the Forties, focusing on women's citizenship issues in Africa and the relationship between French and African women during the time of decolonization.
The approach in terms of "gender", i.e. the study of the social construction of gender difference, masculinity and femininity, applied to African societies, presents a historiography review that has so far focused on men. In this new light, we are aware of new hierarchies, a redefinition of the relationship of power between colonizers and those colonized, or even a new chronology of the history of contemporary Africa. This work rereads the history of the links between Empire/State/Nation and citizenship by questioning the role of women and relationships between the sexes as structuring elements of the societies concerned.
Awards and honors
2010: junior member of the Institut Universitaire de France
- Africaines et diplômées à l’époque coloniale (1918-1957), Presses Universitaires de Rennes, 2010
- Nominated member of the CNRS National Committee (section 33-2012-2016)
- Nominated member of the Scientific Committee of the Institute of Gender (GIS) of the INSHS (2012-2016)
- 2010-2016: head of the "gender and society" team of the Rhône-Alpes historical research laboratory (LARHRA)
- 2011-2016: Publication Director of the e-journal “genre & histoire”
- Since 2009: Member of the Editorial Board of the CLIO magazine, Femmes, Genre, Histoire “Women, Gender, History” (formerly known as Histoire, femmes et sociétés)
- 2007-2016: Member of the Board of Directors of the Association for the development of the history of women and gender – Mnemosyne
- 2009-2016: President of the Association for the development of the history of women and gender – Mnemosyne
- In this context: annual organization of the jury of the “Mnemosyne” Award; annual round table event at the Rendez-vous de l'Histoire de Blois; annual organization of a half-day of studies in connection with the General Assembly of the Association
- Since 2013: Member of the jury of the book “Histoire des Rendez-vous de l’Histoire de Blois